Whiplash is one of the most misunderstood injuries. It is an actual medical condition that affects the vertebrae and muscles in your neck and shoulders. If you are suffering from whiplash after a car accident, you should reach out to a qualified Sugar Land car accident attorney, Attorney Adam Capetillo can help you get the compensation you deserve.
What is Whiplash?
Whiplash is a neck injury caused by forceful, rapid back-and-forth movement. The violent motion can result in sprains or tears to the ligaments, tendons, and muscles in the neck and shoulders.
What are the Symptoms of Whiplash?
Oftentimes, the symptoms of whiplash are not immediate. Generally, they develop within days of the injury. Common symptoms of whiplash include:
• Neck pain and stiffness;
• Loss of range of motion in the neck;
• Headaches starting at the base of the skull;
• Pain or tenderness in the shoulder, upper back, or arms;
• Tingling or numbness in the arms;
• Memory problems; and
• Impaired vision.
In addition to the physical symptoms, whiplash can lead to depression, anxiety, disinterest, and detachment. If you notice any of these symptoms, you should seek professional medical treatment.
What Are the Common Causes of Whiplash in Sugar Land?
Whiplash is most commonly caused by rear-end car accidents. However, this type of injury can occur in any accident when a car comes to a sudden stop in a collision. It can also result from sports accidents, physical abuse, falls, and other traumas.
How Is Whiplash Diagnosed in Sugar Land?
When diagnosing whiplash, the doctor will evaluate the range of motion in your neck and your pain level. They will also assess your reflexes and the strength in your limbs. The doctor may order imagining tests, such as X-rays, CT scans, and MRIs.
How Is Whiplash Treated in Sugar Land?
Most individuals recover within a few weeks. The treatment typically includes pain medication and physical therapy. It may also include steroid injections, supportive equipment and assistive devices, and chiropractic care. Your specific treatment plan will depend on your unique injury.
In extreme cases, whiplash can cause chronic neck pain and other long-lasting complications for months or even years after the accident. Chronic pain is more likely if you have the following risk factors:
• Had whiplash before;
• Older age;
• Existing low back or neck pain; or
• A high-speed injury.
Am I Entitled to Compensation After a Whiplash Injury in Sugar Land?
If your whiplash injury resulted from another person’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Examples of negligence in a Sugar Land car accident include distracted driving, drunk driving, and speeding.
Potential damages in a Sugar Land whiplash injury case include:
• Past and future medical bills,
• Lost wages,
• Emotional distress,
• Loss of enjoyment of life, and
• Diminished earning capacity.
The value of your damages will depend on several factors, including the severity of your injury and the specific facts of your case. The insurance company or other party may try to minimize your whiplash injury, so it is critical to speak to an experienced Sugar Land personal injury attorney.
What Should You Do If You Are Suffering From Whiplash After a Sugar Land Car Accident?
If you were in a car accident in Sugar Land, you should take the following steps to ensure that you can recover compensation for your whiplash injury.
1. Seek medical attention. You should seek medical treatment from a qualified medical professional. Keep all medical records and bills. The medical records will prove the seriousness of your injuries and show that your injuries were caused by the accident.
2. Document the accident scene. Take photos and videos of the accident scene. You should collect the contact information of the other driver and any witnesses. Write down all the facts you remember about the accident while the memory is fresh. This documentation could end up being essential evidence in your case.
3. Contact a personal injury attorney. Reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. There is a high likelihood that you will be entitled to compensation for your injuries. In general, you only have two years from the date of your injury to file a lawsuit in Texas.
Your Sugar Land Car Accident Attorney
Adam Capetillo is an experienced Sugar Land attorney passionate about protecting the rights of his clients. If you have been injured in a car accident, we encourage you to call our office today at (346) 249-5544 to schedule a free consultation.