As many Texans know, the oil industry employs hundreds of thousands of workers and is one of the state’s largest industries. But unfortunately working in an oil refinery comes with many risks of accidents, even fatal ones. If you have been injured in an oil refinery accident, you should reach out to an experienced Sugar Land attorney as soon as possible. Capetillo Law Firm can be a great resource for you and your family in a time of possibly devastating circumstances.
Common Types of Oil Refinery Injuries
There are many different types of accidents that can happen in an oil refinery.
• Crush injuries – a person can be hurt from falling heavy equipment or falling debris in the case of an explosion
• Fire injuries – Refinery equipment often has to operate at extremely high temperatures and the fact refineries work with highly flammable substances can lead to on-site fires. And of course, these fires can cause severe burns, permanent disfigurement, and scarring.
• Falls – Slip and fall injuries can happen in the workplace. Workers can fall from climbing equipment, slippery stairs or platforms, or unsecured ladders. Employers are required to have fall prevention equipment in place to protect employees and take care that safety is a priority.
• Hearing loss – Refinery equipment can be very loud and long-term exposure to extreme and consistent noise levels can lead to incurable hearing loss. Also, a sudden explosion may also cause permanent hearing loss or diminished hearing when noise from the explosion damages the hearing organ.
• Explosion Injuries – Such accidents can result in cuts, bruises, broken bones, internal organ injuries, and sadly even death.
• Exposure to Toxic Chemicals. Exposure to potentially hazardous chemicals such as ammonia, methanol, and formaldehyde used in the oil refining process can lead to burns to the eyes and long-term damage to the nervous system and other body organs and systems.
Common Causes of Oil Refinery Accidents in Texas
Various factors can lead to an oil refinery accident. Often, these accidents could be prevented if proper precautions were taken. Below are three of the most common causes of oil refinery accidents in Texas.
• Defective or improperly maintained equipment. All equipment must be in safe working condition and regularly maintained. Employers who delay equipment maintenance to save costs and avoid any slowdown in production create an unsafe situation since if equipment fails, severe injuries can result.
• Improperly trained employees. All employees must be trained and properly supervised. Refinery workers who have not received appropriate safety training can put everyone at risk.
• Lack of proper safety equipment. Employers must provide safety equipment to their employees, such as hard hats, flame-resistant clothing, and goggles.
If You Are Injured
If you were injured while at work in an oil refinery, you should seek medical treatment immediately. Under Texas law, you have the right to medical treatment from the doctor and medical facility of your choice. You do not have to use the medical professionals recommended by your employer or the insurance company.
Unfortunately, you may be facing large medical bills and be forced to take time off work for months, if not permanently, as a result of a severe accident. It is critical to get the compensation that you deserve to protect yourself from financial hardship. If death occurs, your family may be entitled to compensation because of the loss of the main provider for the family and other related costs.
The compensation you are entitled to will depend on your injuries and the circumstances surrounding your case. Some common damages that are available are loss of income, past and future medical expenses, rehabilitation and physical therapy, loss of future earning capacity, pain, and suffering, and mental anguish.
Do You Need an Attorney?
Oil refineries generate an incredible amount of money. This means company executives can afford to hire expensive corporate attorneys to fend off lawsuits because of the personal injuries caused by an accident.
Personal injury attorney Adam Capetillo has fought big corporate lawyers successfully for many years. If you sustained one or more injuries because of an accident at an oil refinery, turn to the personal injury specialists at Capetillo Law Firm to receive highly rated legal services that protect your rights as mandated by federal and state workplace laws. Call us at (346) 249-5544