If you were injured in a Texas car accident as an Uber passenger, you have the right to sue for your damages. Attorney Adam Capetillo has compiled an impressive record of helping clients win judgments for just compensation to cover the expenses generated by an Uber accident.
Who is Liable in an Uber Accident in Sugar Land?
Determining who is liable in an Uber can be challenging. In Texas, Uber drivers are considered independent contractors (not employees), so both the driver and Uber could be liable depending on the circumstances.
Uber has a $1 million insurance policy that provides coverage to passengers and other drivers under certain circumstances. The policy is broken down into four categories.
- Period 0: Uber provides no liability coverage. This period applies to accidents when the driver is not logged into the rideshare app and operating the vehicle for their personal use. Only the driver’s personal auto policy applies.
- Period 1: Uber provides liability coverage of up to $50,000 per person injured in the accident, $100,000 per accident with bodily injury liability limits, and $25,000 per accident in property damage. This period applies when the driver’s ridesharing app is on, but they have not accepted a ride. The driver’s personal auto policy also applies.
- Period 2: Uber provides “full” coverage, up to $1 million in liability coverage. This period applies when the driver has accepted the trip and is en route to the rider.
- Period 4: Uber provides “full” coverage, up to $1 million in liability coverage, as well as limited coverage for damage to the driver’s car and uninsured motorist coverage. This period applies when an accident occurs while a rider is in the Uber.
Furthermore, injured passengers may be able to sue Uber if the company’s negligence contributed to the car accident. For example, a passenger could have a successful negligence claim if Uber did not complete a background check on a driver with a history of DWIs, and the driver hit you while they were intoxicated.
The attorneys at Capetillo law firm can investigate your claim and determine how much Uber is required to pay. They will fight aggressively on your behalf to ensure you get the compensation that you deserve.
What Compensation Can an Uber Passenger Recover If They Were Injured in an Accident?
The compensation an injured Uber passenger is entitled will depend on the circumstances of the accident. In Sugar Land, you may be able to recover compensation for one or more of the following:
- Past and future medical bills,
- Lost wages,
- Emotional trauma,
- Long-term disability, and
- Pain and suffering.
Your Sugar Land Criminal Defense Lawyer
If you were injured in an accident as an Uber passenger, you should contact Capetillo Law Firm to schedule a free initial consultation. You can call our office at (346) 249-5544 or submit the form placed on the home page of our website.